Rustic Engineering

My Mind working on…

USB Small Peripheral Board (aka PIC18F14K50 Board)

with 10 comments

Recently I’ve working with the little but smart PIC18F14K50 (or your low voltage version, PIC18LF14K50). These chips are cheap (about $2,5 at Mouser) and have low pin count, but very impressive specs:

• USB V2.0 (low and high speed);
  • NanoWatt feature (sleep with 24nA!);
  • 10-bit A/D converters with auto-acquisition;
  • PWM;
  • Several Internal Clock modes;
  • EUSART;
  • 16KB Program Flash Memory;
  • 768B SRAM;

They help me with USB development. The low pin count don’t became a problem because most of times, my projects don’t use all them (in case os PIC18F4550 or PIC18F2550).

I think that it’s a good choice to design some little USB devices, like:

• A USB accelerometer;
  • A USB thermometer;
  • A USB logger;
  • A USB GPS;

The possibilities are awesome!

Microchip develops a kit, called “Low Pin Count USB Development Kit” to present this chip. But the Microchip kit have dimensions, don’t very suitable to work like a real USB peripheral.

So I design a little board, with minimum parts to make it work. The board is a first prototype, a experiment. If works, I’ll improve it with more polish design and features, and design one with PIC18LF14K50 for 3.3v native support  and etc.

You can see the circuit and board below:

Written by forrequi

December 23, 2009 at 03:16

Posted in electronic, pcb, projects, USB

Tagged with

10 Responses

1. I don’t believe! Just one led dear? I’ll need see for believe.😉

Niky

December 27, 2009 at 21:13

2. Ever considered sharing your Eagle files/libraries for this handy breakout board? I need a similar board to experiment with, so it would be nice to have a shared resource to start with.

Justin

March 1, 2010 at 17:33

• Off course I do it. Please, mail me and I’ll sent you the files.

forrequi

March 1, 2010 at 21:37

3. I would e-mail you but I can’t seem to find your e-mail address anywhere. Can you e-mail me at the address used for this comment? Thanks.

Justin

March 3, 2010 at 22:21

4. If a new post becomes out there or if perhaps any modifications occur on your web page, I would really like to read far more and locating out the best way to make fantastic usage of those approaches you talk about. http://cheapjap.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14711

Georgianna Legoullon

December 23, 2011 at 15:09

5. This part doesn’t have high speed usb as you have claimed.

Errata Guy

August 11, 2012 at 23:59

• Interesting. The datasheet show they are 12Mbits/s and 1.5Mbits/s capable.

forrequi

August 12, 2012 at 04:24

6. Did you finish with this? I would like the Eagle files as well…

Rando

January 26, 2015 at 20:00

7. Could I please have the PCB files too. This will be an ideal project for our after school science club!
    brts@iinet.net.au