Rustic Engineering

My Mind working on…

USB Small Peripheral Board (aka PIC18F14K50 Board) Finished

with 17 comments

Well, my board comes to me yesterday and I’ve soldered all parts. The board is really small, very compact, very robust. I’ve made a little test only to check if are something wrong, but not. Everthing works well. Very good for version 0.

See the photos:

Finished and empty PCB

Breadboard friendly

Programming via PICkit3

Now, I (and you, please contact me if you like it) can test and make nice devices, without boring with crystals, capacitors, reset, USB it self. You can attach it on a breadboard or your own prototype PCB with your circuit.

I’ve created a kind of pin card, for rapid pinnout reference. I got the card idea from Mbed project. It’s very useful, with all pins and ports plus the information about device peripherals.

USBLowPin_pinnout

Reference Card (like Mbed.org)

Think the nice things you can do… I want to make a test with USB Mass Storage Device, yes, a Flash Drive. I’ve a little project where this really help me with configuration storage, etc.

For test, I’ll show us some application example, like a USB RFID reader.

RFID Reader

If you like this board and want to get one, email me to talk about. It’s a zero version, so some errors could exist.

Cheers!

Eagle files here.

Written by forrequi

March 5, 2010 at 00:17

17 Responses

1. Compact, efficient, among other technical qualities which will certainly be mentioned in the form of praise for those who understand the subject.

Here I may say how privileged spectator: they are projects carried out with great care by someone who really like what I do.

Ѝ¡ЌΨ - Number One Fan

March 5, 2010 at 03:28

2. Are you planning to offer this product for sale? I have been looking at using this USB chip and your board would make my home project much simpler.

Nick

March 9, 2010 at 14:02

• Yes. Today I sell one… and I have only one more. If you want…

forrequi

March 9, 2010 at 14:18

• Would you please email me the price you are asking.

Nick

March 9, 2010 at 15:42

• Hello,

Great Project! I was wondering if you could share the schematic of the connections to the PIC18F14K50? What crystal frequency does it need?

thanks!

J

J Weinmann

May 18, 2010 at 14:41

• Email me and I’ll send the files. It’s use a 12MHz crystal for USB Full Speed operation.

forrequi

May 18, 2010 at 15:35

3. Do you have anymore boards to sell?

Thanks
    Ed

Ed Nelson

May 20, 2010 at 21:31

4. This is amazingly well done! Great idea and work!

RicardoATB

June 25, 2010 at 19:19

5. Hello,

Have you tried SPI communication with the 12Mhz crystal running at 48Mhz (4xPLL)?

I seem to be running into timing issues on my end.

Ie if I call delay_ms(1000), I might see .25 seconds.

Thanks

Jeff

J Weinmann

June 28, 2010 at 12:01

6. Really nice work! I have one question: where do you get your boards made?

Jose Jorge

November 2, 2010 at 15:18

7. Is the external crystal needed ? You could save two pins using the internal 16 MHz oscillator and another one removing the MCLR resistor. Regards, John

John

February 20, 2011 at 18:24

• According to 2.11 section of PIC14K50 (USB Operation) you can’t use use internal clock because USB timings standards, that require a 48MHz oscillator for hi-speed and 12MHz for low-speed. I know that 12MHz is a internal option, but not reliable to USB operation. About MCLR pin, some code debug options and bootloader functions don’t permit you to operate the MCU in MCLR as I/O. Aside, PIC18F14K50 is a little evil device, with limitations that are ver tricky. thanks for your question!

forrequi

February 20, 2011 at 20:13

8. You talked about a USB mass storage device with the PIC18J14K50. Did you bring it to function? This would be a very nice approach to develop OS undependent datasampler.
    Thanks Andreas

Andreas

April 5, 2011 at 08:47

• Not yet. Apparently Mass Storage requires 512byte sector sizes, for FAT organization. It’s a great problem with PIC18F14K50. Maybe 18F26J50 or other new 18Fx7J50 do best job.

forrequi

April 6, 2011 at 07:24

9. Nice work!

I was wondering what software you used to make the reference card image?

roberto

June 4, 2011 at 13:27

• Thanks. I’ve used “Pages”. It’s the Mac text processor, like Microsoft Word for Windows.

forrequi