Rustic Engineering

My Mind working on…

Hand Soldering OLED – video

with 5 comments

Hi friends.

Some people ask me about how to do hand soldering on smaller parts, like on my OLED Display Board. It uses a “TAB” (tape automated bonding) or “COF” (chip on flex) style flex tail mated with a “COG” (chip on glass) display. Normally, TAB connector is soldered directly to corresponding pads on your PCB using a hot-bar soldering machine.

I don’t have that hot-bar soldering machine, so my hand’s can make the job. The first time I’ve done this soldering, I was a bit scare about damage the connector. My only tip is “don’t spend much time over the fragile contacts.

For help us, I’ve recorded my last OLED soldering. Maybe can help some people about SMD soldering (as some internet videos help me some years ago).

On YouTube:

Written by forrequi

November 11, 2010 at 16:55

Posted in electronic, LCD, OLED, pcb, projects

Tagged with , , , , , ,

5 Responses

1. While aligning, you can insert a wire on each of the holes, they are meant to help with the alignment.

I though you may want to see a similar project that I am working on:

A complete lab system on a DIP module… I am using an XMEGA microcontroller and the same OLED.

Gabriel Anzziani

November 14, 2010 at 08:22

2. Are all of those resistors and caps completely necessary? i have the sparkfun oled an it looks slightly different from this one and ill probably make my own breakout board from copper clad. But if I wanted to have a PCB like yours is it expensive for small batches like yours? How many did you make and how did you get all the SMT parts?

thanks much help appreciated,
    Andrew

Andrew

June 8, 2011 at 01:36

• Hi Andrew,

You didn’t describe what SparkFun display you have, but it’s almost true that all OLED controllers need a little boost DC-DC converter to operate. It’s the way it’s get 11~13V to operate and supply the pixels cells. Some controllers comes with internal IC for boost converter, and you only need add some resistors, capacitors and inductor to get the right voltage. If you don’t want to use it’s internal boost controller you need to provide that “high” voltage your way. But if your system is a kind of embedded, probably you don’t have a 12V main supply. The inside boost converters a very nice and helpful feature of OLED.

About SMD parts: I’m in electronic for a long time, so I’ve considerable quantities of discrete SMD components. Some of them I desoldered my self from old PCBs. Others I bought from suppliers, and others from eBay. You can find very nice kits with resistors and capacitors at eBay, with most common commercial values.

Bye.

forrequi

June 8, 2011 at 08:24

3. Hi Forrequi. Just came across this post and was wondering how I can access your video about hand soldering OLED. It keeps saying the video is not available. Many thanks.
    Sukhvir

Sukhvir Dhillon

May 23, 2013 at 15:29

4. I only have RSS subscription. Thanks.

forrequi